is like the "something people love to hate in Asheville" of Asheville events. You either loved it or hated it with a passion. This year, there is no Bele Chere but you know that deep down in your heart you are already missing some things about it that you might not have even realized (or admitted to yourself).
Here are 30 things you miss about Bele Chere, or are completely happy about never experiencing again:
Photos courtesy of Ashvegas
- The increase in rancid Patchouli smell in the air starting on the Thursday afternoon before shit was about to go cray in downdown Asheville
- Being able to get drunk and walk in the street Thursday night before the masses arrived - points for getting to jump some street signs or roll in the street
- Having the “perfect excuse” to get to work extra late on Friday because “all the streets are closed and traffic is insane and all the parking lots are already insane” even if you don’t work downtown
- Suggesting a work lunch downtown Friday for an extra long liquid one to get into the mood
- Leaving work early Friday because it’s BELE CHERE BABY
- The people watching and the fashions - who says chacos and fanny packs can’t go together! Bonus points for tie dyed fanny packs. I kinda want one.
- Cooling off in the misting stations, or washing away the smells for a moment of bliss
- Feeling like a local boss signing into the membership only bars. You knew this would come in handy someday!
- Visiting your friends at the bars/restaurants they work at and the brief look of relief on their faces seeing someone they know and like, or is that really a look of disgust that you’re in there too...bothering them for 5 Jager shots? Either way, it’s love.
- So. Many. Things. And. Possibilities. That. Can. Be. Fried.
- If you don’t already do this on a regular basis, you can DRINK IN THE STREETS
- Playing a game of recognizing undercover cops, here is a clue, they are wearing socks with sandals.
- Knowing people with places downtown that are having parties so you could feel like you were at Bele Chere without actually having to “be” at Bele Chere
- Also the people you know with places downtown who let you use their bathrooms! Port-O-Johns are for plebeians, not the baller BC expert like you!
- Realizing you are going to hell from the ignorant preachers because you are a man, you are a women, you like music, you like basically anything that is fun.
- Watching the shit show of people wasting their time arguing with the ignorant preachers. Free soap opera on the streets!
- Laughing at people that are pointing and laughing at topless ladies
- Counting the stretch marks on the topless ladies
- Saying “Happy Bele Chere” when you run into people you know and not really knowing why but really meaning it like it’s the second coming of Christ
- Getting to finally know what this '90s forgotten rock band has been doing since...the '90s.
- Some of the most epic people watching (and judging) of all time in the center of your town!
- Somehow, ending up at Scandals late night to get away...and to just DANCE IT ALL OUT
- Finally practicing your bladder control exercises in search for a bathroom - gotta keep it tight down there!
- Being amazed by Ultimate Air Dogs because you have never seen a dog jump into the air ever in your life
- Buying crappy weird wooden sculptures that have no purpose or amazing reclaimed art from cigarette butts and whiskey bottles
- Watching teenagers trying to smoke or drink alcohol underage and remembering your youth
- Avoiding ex-lovers in the street by being able to hide everywhere you go! You finally get proper hiding places in Asheville.
- Pretending you’re the next country music star in the KISS Country karaoke booth, or just laughing at people sing about Bud Lights
- Finding a bag of pot on the ground
- Rejoicing in the fact that you can be a total hot mess while walking around the streets of Asheville because it’s BELE CHERE BABY and no one is gonna judge you (besides us here at WS AVL Call Me!)